Sunday, August 3, 2008

Trouble On A Plane - First Rough Cut of the Music



My composer John Longen, sent me a link on Wednesday to a page on his website where he had uploaded the movie with the first rough cut of his score. After only listening to five seconds of it I was totally sold! THIS was exactly what I was looking for! It sounded like pure Hitchcock!!! To think the guy only got to see the movie on Sunday and that by Wednesday he already had a rough cut of the music! Amazing. What's even more incredible is that he has never done music for a film before. Now that's talent!

The day after, we watched my first cut in class ... Horrible! Apparently, I crossed the (camera) line several times. Only the teacher noticed, the rest of the class couldn't care less. While the experience was a bit annoying, it did help me out here and there. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind having my film being criticized, but here it was really talking for the sake of talking! But like I said, some of the comments turned out to be helpful. One of the shots people loved was Hollie's CU, which has beautiful light surrounding her. Her second angle, which is a slightly higher one, had to be redone on the second day. While looking at the footage at the end of day one, I realized that the character of Dr Edwards wasn't sitting in the chair behind her. So on the second day we reshot that angle, with Milan standing in for the doctor. But edited together, both angles looked different in terms of light. They didn't match. When I told the teacher that the original, unused footage for that higher angle looked the same in terms of light but that I couldn't use it because of the whole empty seat behind her, he told me to try it anyway, saying that we might not even notice that the doctor isn't there. And he was right! The film looks so much better with that footage and now everything matches.
While the replaced footage looked better, the sound wasn't. So I tried something and was astonished by the result. I got rid of the sound of the newly inserted footage and used the sound of the footage that had been edited in before. Hollie's performance was so good that he dialogue from the old footage was completely in sync with the images of the new footage. Unbelievable! Now that's talent as well!!!

No comments: