Sunday, June 22, 2008

Trouble On A Plane - Shooting day 1







I made call time for the crew at 7AM while I told the actors to be on the set around 7:30A. Never having had the time to meet the actors for one big rehearsal, I thought the only rehearsal we would have would be right on the set itself, inside the jet. And I'm glad I planned it this way. Rehearsals can be good. But they can also be bad. Too much rehearsals will get the spontaneity out of the actors. Yes, it can make it go faster when shooting the scenes, but when you think about it, not one shot will be shot in just one single take. If things need to change, take two or even three will take care of that. Plus I was dealing with a very talented cast and I knew they would pull it off without long hours of endless rehearsals.
We had been having a heat wave over the last few days. I hate heat. I hate it so much that I can hardly function in it. The whole week I had been checking the weather forecast and was happy to see that the temperatures were going to start dropping from Sunday on. Unfortunately, the drop was hardly noticeable. When I got to the set I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the jet itself was air-conditioned. So much so that it felt like a freezer inside! But that didn't last long. By the afternoon the jet had become an oven. Not only because of the heat inside the hangar the plane was in but because of the heavy and hot HMI lights that were blasting against it. The air out of the AC had become hot instead of cold!
Never the less, the actors were amazing. Not a single one complained. While most of the crew was in t-shirt and shorts, me included, the actors were in full costumes. It must have been a real hell for them, especially for the guys, who were wearing business suits.
But despite the heat, both crew and cast were having a blast. It felt like one big family and everyone was having so much fun. Lunch break was a dream: full buffet at the high class Long Beach airport restaurant Da Vinci, which was located right above our set. Through Marq, we were able to get a great deal and so the crew and cast was able to enjoy seared ahi tuna, smoked salmon, baked mussels, creme brule, and other delicious treats.
Towards the end of the shooting day we were able to get a shot of the cast walking away from a real jet, which had just landed on the tarmac, outside the hangar we were in. The shot, which will be the last one in the movie, looked stunning.
Day one being over, I was ready for day two.

No comments: