Friday, June 20, 2008

Trouble On A Plane - Costumes and overall look




Men's fashion hasn't changed much over the years. Apart from maybe the haircuts, a man could really wear any suit and act as if he were in the 50's, 60's, 70's, ... With women, it's a little different. We needed a suit or dress for Eve. Considering Hollie has red hair, I wanted to dress her in green, but finding a skirt and blazer resembling the one of Tippi Hedren in 'The Birds' was a little bit more difficult than I expected. As for the uniforms of the stewardesses, I really hadn't made up my mind yet what they would have to look like. All I knew is that I wanted them to be bright. Any color really.
Mark and I left the house early this morning to head towards the garment district in downtown L.A. That place is amazing! You can get so much for almost no money. The first things we found were two scarfs for the stewardesses. With that in our hands, we were able to go into stores and match is up with potential dresses. In this one particular store, the owner was super helpful and ... a Hitchcock fan! Within minutes she found us two perfect outfits that looked exactly what I wanted. Blue short dresses with short sleeves. Our stewardesses' uniforms were ready! We also bought a little black outfit for Hollie in the same store but only a few minutes later we found another dress in another store for just $6 that worked even better.
Another place we use a lot to find costumes and props is Out of the Closet. There we found four small airline-type bags. Them being blue helps with the overall look of the uniform, plus they look very PanAm. I quickly created a logo that resembled that one of Panam. The plane and its crew now had a name for their airline: Two M Airlines!

No comments: