Thursday, June 26, 2008

Trouble On A Plane - Post-production


I had told myself I wouldn't start editing until after the class had started. After all, this thesis film was for a particular class and right now, I had already shot the film before the class had even begun! I had to keep at least one thing to do for the next three months. But the temptation was too strong. By Wednesday evening I had uploaded all the footage I needed (by actually just uploading the best takes and not just the whole footage). Then, an Thursday morning, I started playing around with the footage and before I knew it I had a first rough cut ... and it was only noon!
Of course, the film is far from being finished. It needs color correction, the sound levels need to be fixed and I need to recut some scenes here and there. But the main cut is ready. And it looks stunning!
A colleague of Milan had offered his services and was interested in creating the intro credits. I was very excited about that because I have very specific ideas for the credits. My mind was set on some sort of animation and I was thinking of Vertigo and Catch Me If You Can. In the latter, the style and mood of the film was immediately introduced by little stick figures walking around in a bluish airport/airline world. I was also thinking of Saul Bass, the man who was responsible for some of the most famous intro credits like Vertigo, Anatomy of a Murder, West Side Story, ... His style was just super simple yet super effective. Less is definitely more.
Of course, the film will need a great score. The composer will have to create music that resembles the music of Bernard Hermann, the composer known for his collaboration with the Master of Suspense. Not only did Hermann create the music of such movies like North By Northwest, The Man Who Knew Too Much and Psycho, he also create sound-design for The Birds, a movie that didn't have any music in it!

No comments: