Friday, March 20, 2009

When a Belgian director meets two British Internet stars ...

Last night I was at an industry networking event in the heart of Hollywood. The email I received about it promised an interesting group of people, from producers to directors, from screenwriters to actors, even executives from major studios like Warner Brothers and Universal Studios. The latter is really the reason I was there. With my resume in one hand and a stack of business cards in the other, I paid my $10 entrance fee and found myself among a group of people who all seem to be there for the same reason. Finding a job! A bit disappointed that this night might not turn out the way I wanted it, I was ready to leave when I bumped into two British actresses. There was an immediate connection and there was one good reason for that: I had been following their skit show online for the last few months!

Fiona Hardingham and Violet Mathieson are the genius comedy duo behind the hilarious Fi & Vi Show. Both girls play a array of different characters, each one funnier than the other. There's the Northerners, two tourists from the northern part of the UK, visiting Los Angeles and its landmarks. There's Berry and Starsha, the two Playboy bunnies. And then there's Ms. Violet and Ms. Fiona, a couple of elderly ladies that seem to have discovered the benefits of the internet.
What's really amazing about these two Brits is their amazing talent in improv. Watching them use their webcam as Ms. Violet and Ms. Fiona, gets you in stitches every time. Their comedic timing is spot on and each one of their skits is a little jewel of web-entertainment. To me, they are the French and Saunders of the internet, and with Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders retiring this year after almost 25 years as the queens of British comedy, the heirs to the vacated throne might very soon be filled again.

So the evening wasn't such a disappointment after all. In fact, it was pretty successful! Meeting two of your favorite internet stars is actually quite exciting. And with both of their business cards in my pockets, I'm sure our paths will cross again soon. Who knows, maybe my urge of creating a brand new web-series this year will materialize. One thing is sure, if it does, I want those two gals involved, because the success of web-series revolves around one word: talent!

No comments: