Friday, September 12, 2008

Trouble On A Plane - Grain on a Plane

After Milan and I met and did some color correction on the film, I looked at the result once I was back at home. While the colors looked stunning, the film had become very grainy. The day after, I spent hours trying to find a way to make it look less grainy. The result worked. I burned the DVD and watched it on my big TV screen and the film looked amazing. It was ready to be shown in our last class, in which all our short films would be shown.

Making fun of the fact that my movie was done before the class even started, the teacher decided that mine would be the first one shown. The credits looked great, the music sounded fantastic, but the film ... looked super grainy! I was mortified. Afterwards, the teacher asked ".. what kind of cool film-grain filter I used". I told him I didn't, that it was the result of the color correction.

However, what is very interesting, is the fact the people that hadn't seen the movie before the color correction, all told me how much they loved the colors and how much it looked like film. They said they didn't even notice the grain. While it reassured me for a minute, I realize I have to redo the color correction, make it look less brighter in order to bring down the grain. If it looked grainy on a medium size screen, when it will be shown on a gigantic movie theater screen next month, it will be all grain and no color.

But the response was good and the best comment came from the teacher himself: "Great movie, Hitchcock would be proud!"
Lets hope so!

No comments: