Monday, May 5, 2008

Dreams of an 11 year old ...



It's been a while since I've written anything on this blog. I've been extremely busy with all kinds of projects. 'For Your ICE Only' was put aside for a little bit. The new quarter has started (well, a few weeks ago) and it looks like the projects I'm working on for school will be more than just projects, well, for school! For one of my classes I had to pitch four ideas for a feature. One idea impressed the teacher (who is also a producer) so much that he is determined to have this feature made! He contacted me outside class and told me he already has a director for it and possibly a writer. I hear what you're thinking: "But what do you get to do then???" I had the same thought: "Why can't I direct or write my OWN idea???" Here is the thing. The story is a historical epic, involving Belgium, Mexico, France and even Italy. In order to attract the people who will ultimately come up with the money to make the movie, you need a known director or writer, especially because it is a costume drama, an epic. No one will give a first time director such a project. Which makes sense. Same thing with the writer. So would it really be that bad to work on an idea I came up with, get paid for it and get a producer's credit on the film? Yes, it's not what my ultimate goal is but it's a pretty good start to get to my goal! Of course, I will tell you more about the whole film once the ball gets rolling. Patience!

I recently found a whole bunch a school projects, essays and little scripts I wrote in grade-school. I was really amazed to see what an imagination I had already back then! And my writing style was pretty good too! Some of those short stories start right into the heart of the plot. I'm wondering if my teachers gave me the first sentence to work from. Oh hell no, I was just brilliant that's all! One document in particular made me laugh. When I was about 11 years old, we were being thought the art of writing a perfect letter, so the teacher made us write one we would have to send out. I decided to write a letter to the BRT, the national Belgian Television. Back then I was already obsessed with TV, movies and celebrities! Basically this is what the letter says:

"Dear BRT team,

I'm writing you because I had to write a letter for school. My choice immediately fell on the BRT because I think it's an interesting subject. That must be really exciting to make something for television and to know almost everyone is going to watch it. I'm wondering, how many people work for the BRT?

When I grow up, I would like to do that profession. I love your programs about history, especially the ones about ancient Egypt. I think cartoons aren't bad because I like to draw. I think Walt Disney cartoons are the best.

My favorite programs are Different Strokes, Home Sweet Home, The Veen Mystery, Oliver Twist, etc. Yes, what's up with not showing Different Strokes anymore and why haven't you shown Home Sweet Home anymore either? I would like to see that movie about New-York-Paris you aired because I missed it.

I hope to get a letter back.

Many greetings to the BRT team from the 6th grade class.

Maxime Brulein'


Strangely enough, they never wrote me back!

Wow, the things that are in there! The fact that I already wanted to make movies and create images for the world to see is pretty cool. And I had a real passion for Disney. Back then ...

1 comment:

The Mysterious Ad[ri.an B)e;ta]m.a.x. said...

Congrats on the great news! I think you ought to at least get a "story by" credit even if they won't let you write it.

-Editor A